06 April 2006

Magical Narnia

I've decided to try listening to some books on tape since I am spending a fair amount of time in the car each day. Today I listened to the first half of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Of course, I've read the Narnia series about a dozen times, but I seem to enjoy it more each time. I was skeptical about the audio version since I'd tried listening to the Bible on tape a few years back and the narrator and background music was so cheesy I couldn't concentrate on what I was listening to. (If you know of a good reading of the Bible, let me know, I'd love to try that again sometime too.)

With TLW&W I was pleasantly surprised. This was great timing too since I haven't yet seen the recent movie version, and it just arrived in our mailbox today through Netflix (which, by the way, I HIGHLY recommend...). I'm hoping to finish the rest of the cds tomorrow and then watch the movie before listening to the rest of the Narnia cds.

And, though I'd never in a million years want to live somewhere where it's "always winter and never Christmas" I've found myself wishing I could somehow buy a magical plane ticket that would take me to Narnia....maybe I'd get there after the White Witch was conquered by Aslan and Spring had come. It's the same deep longing to spend just one glorious day in Rivendell or Lothlorien. Maybe I'll have to settle for a trip someday to Prince Edward Island...(at least that's somewhere I could visit)...but there is a desire to see some of the magical places from the story books of my childhood.

No comments: