15 May 2006

Great Cookbook

I got a new cookbook last week, and I thought I'd share it 'cause I love it. It's the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. It retails for $34.95, but Costco currently has it for $21.99, which seems to be pretty reasonable since even the cheapest online used ones I've seen would be around $23-24 including shipping. I've never seen the TV show the cookbook's based on, but I hear it's pretty good.

Ok, so I have only made one recipe from here so far (though it was so good I did it twice this weekend), but I've read through most of the book and the vast majority of the recipes are easy to follow. The book is also filled with little tips and hints...mostly helpful, a few not, but overall good. One thing I like about the cookbook is that it seems to have all the basics. It seems with a majority of the books out there right now most of the recipes aren't terribly practical.

Another thing I love about it is the 3-ring binder. When I cook, I like to take the recipe I'm using out of the book and put it on my fridge with a magnet. The only problem I have with this book is that the quality of the paper isn't great, so I'm not sure how many times it'll hold up going in and out of the binder. I think this cookbook will definitely be a well-used one around here though. In fact when my sister was here she and Eric loved it so much they went and got one for them and one for Eric's sister's wedding gift.

I'm not sure if it'll replace my current favorite, recipes.com, but sometimes it's nice to have recipes on paper with pictures. Maybe I'll post my new favorite appetizer recipe (the one I did this weekend) later this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I cooked, I'd check it out. I really need to learn how to do that someday - maybe.

Barbara

Rahime said...

Well, it wouldn't hurt if I learned how to do that either...I don't cook often 'cause usually 'Chung does the cooking. But when we have people over, we like to work together on it.

My tendancy is to either overcook or undercook anything. If I follow a recipe closely though it usually works better.

Anonymous said...

I have some friends here that swear by America's Test Kitchen recipe books also. Maybe I should check it out! =)