Brazil Day 4
On Friday, our fourth day in Brazil, we started the day as we had the previous two, with breakfast at the hotel. I noticed in the morning that I wasn't feeling 100%, but figured it was just the fibro. complaining about the late nights playing cards. I had an appointment to get my nails done at 1:30, and Melissa's brother, Matteus, came at 1:00 to pick me up to take me to the salon while the others went to the tennis club where we'd spend the afternoon and evening relaxing and playing.
The salon was wonderful. The woman who did my nails works there along with her brother, sister, and mother. She was an absolute sweetheart, and I really wish I'd gotten a picture of her, but I thought I'd do it Sat. when I returned to get my hair done for the wedding. She spent about 2 hours giving me the most luxurious manicure and pedicure ever (at only $7 total!). I got a french manicure and pedicure with little flowers stamped on my fingernails and a little pink sparkle in the center of each flower. I enjoyed every minute of it, though I was already starting to feel pretty achy about half-way through. When Matteus came back to
pick me up he asked if I'd like to go back to the hotel or to the tennis club to meet the group. I considered going back and resting, but didn't want to be stuck in the hotel since I figured they'd be at the tennis club all evening, so we went there. It was such a great place. 'Chung played soccer with a bunch of other people (Brazilians v. Americans) :), others played tennis, laid by the pool (though it was a bit too cool to swim) and played cards.
Around dark (6ish, since it's winter in Brazil now) a few of Melissa's father's friends came to start the BBQ. The meat they cooked was
incredible!! We had a great dinner of rice, beef, and some sausage, enjoyed conversation with each other, getting to know some of Melissa's family and friends, and played some games. It was probably around 10:30 when we finally started to head back to the hotel (though some of Mel's friend's were just showing up).
When we arrived, I was feeling pretty bad, but across the street from our hotel room was a fiesta in full swing. (Did I mention that 'Chung and my hotel room was on the street side and we could hear EVERYTHING?) The Catholic church on the corner was having a festival for the June Festival for Saint John. To me, this party resembled a rock concert more than a church event (note the picture of the saint behind the keg in the picture below), but it was a lot of fun. I decided to walk around with some of the group for a bit before going back to the room.

When I did get back to the room, I knew I'd overdone it. Every inch of my body was screaming in pain, and within a few minutes of getting in bed I realized I had a raging fever too. The music from the festival which ranged from Shania Twain to Portuguese rock and everything in between shook our whole room and the vibrations of the bass felt like jabs to my aching joints and muscles. This went on for about 3 hours until around 2:00 am when the music finally stopped, but many of the party-goers moved to the bar across the street. By this point my stomach had really started hurting. I didn't feel nausea, but waves of pain that would come and go. I'd be doubled over for about 10 minutes, and then be fine for a few. The diarrhea which had started earlier in the afternoon was now happening every 15 min. or so.
I can't remember ever feeling that sick before in my life. 'Chung was so great. He kept checking on me all night and making sure I had enough water, everything I needed and holding me when I wanted to scream in pain. I don't know what I would've done without him.

No comments:
Post a Comment