On Shooting
Well, Kristie asked an interesting question which will take a bit of space to explain, so I think I'll make it a new post rather than answer in the comments. Here's a shortened version of the comments:
So, what brought this idea to mind? Its not every day that one decides to go to shooting school. Hmm, I suppose it all started with a passing comment I made shortly before we got married, the week of the wedding in fact. I told 'Chung that someday I'd like to learn to shoot. He was interested and embarked on a whole new hobby. (Sometimes I think I should keep my mouth shut.)Kristie: Wow-- I think that "shooting school" was the last thing I expected your answer to be! :) I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that you would have something creative and unique planned, although I am curious as to what brought this idea to mind. =)Kristie: Do you have any plans for the extra money? :)
Me: Why yes, we do. We're going to Nevada to attend a shooting school.
He proceeded to research guns and eventually we purchased one. Also, 'Chung signed up for a membership with a shooting school and they gave him 13 free certificates to bring friends. We started going to the shooting range together on an almost weekly basis because on Tues. nights they had "ladies night" where I could get the lane free and we'd just have to pay for 'Chung to shoot. It turned into a fun hobby we could do together (and unlike his other hobbies--snowboarding, BMX riding, etc.--it doesn't involve bodily harm). However, when we moved we didn't have a shooting range near us, and ladies night ended 'cause people complained that it was discrimination. So, now it's fairly expensive to go and we rarely do.
I must admit, that while I do think it's fun to go to the range every now and then, I probably would have lost interest by now if it weren't for my husband. He has approached the hobby with the same intensity with which he approaches just about everything...obsession? No, not really. He's also keeping himself current on the status of laws regarding guns (which are quite unfavorable in California, but that's another subject) and attempting to get a conceal-carry permit (which is probably impossible here).
I think though that part of my boredom with the sport is that I do not really shoot well...something I hope shooting school may help. I have a slightly competitive edge...those of you who know me may remember that...and I do not really like doing things that I'm not good at. So, in many ways I'm a bit nervous about shooting school, I know I'm not good at this, and it's scary to show people whom I know are experts my lack of talent. But it'll be good for me to be a bit vulnerable.
So, we've put off going to the school in NV for over 3 years because of a lack of funds (though the $1600 class is free, we need 800 rounds of ammunition each, and have to pay for the trip). Now, 'Chung's recruited a few friends to go with us (though nowhere near 13) and it should be an interesting little vacation.
Here's a description of the course:
Regardless of your experience prior to entering this course, upon completion, your gun handling, marksmanship, and tactical skills will be better than they have ever been and you will be able to safely and easily draw your weapon from a CONCEALED holster and fire two,sighted shots to the center of a target 5 yards away - all under 1.5 seconds! That`s right, from a concealed holster in 1.5 seconds!
You will understand the principles of tactics and have multiple opportunities to use your acquired skills under the stress of simulated, lethal encounters. This course is a must for anyone who chooses to own or carry a handgun for self defense.
Lecture Topics and Firing Range Drills:
As outlined in Two-Day Defensive Handgun with added emphasis on Concealed Carry; Low Light and Night Shooting; Tactical Training Simulation using Realistic Reactive Targets in Shoot/No Shoot Scenarios; and Target Engagement from Arms Length to 25 yards under Time Pressure. Course also includes Evening Supplemental Lectures on Shotgun and Rifle topics with Staff Social, Single Elimination Shoot-off, and Distinguished Graduate Skills Evaluation.
Maybe I'll show you a picture of my gun later. :)
