21 April 2006

Ginger

So, today I went to get a massage. I've been feeling pretty yucky this week...which is frustrating since I'd planned to get a lot done. I've only been working about 2 hours a day this week, so there's been a lot of time to catch up on stuff. But have I "caught up"? No. Anyways, back to the topic. My massage therapist, who is amazing btw, mentioned that she has another client who has been eating and drinking a lot of ginger and found it gives her a lot of pain-relief. I don't understand why all of the natural anti-inflammatories must be almost impossible for my taste buds to tolerate (I've heard great things about cayenne pepper also, but can't stand it), and ginger is one of 2 flavorings used heavily in Chinese food that I really don't like.

However, I'd like to try this anyways...I might as well. So, I went to Trader Joe's to see what they have. I found candied ginger (though I think the sugar in candied ginger would negate the benefit of the anti-inflammatory effects) and raw ginger root. I'm going to try some ginger tea with sliced ginger. I'm also planning to check Whole Foods to see if they have it in capsule form (then at least I won't have to taste it, but I haven't found out yet if it's as effective that way). I tried the candied ginger, but could hardly swallow it. I haven't tried the tea yet, but have a feeling it'll be a similar experience.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for hiding the taste of such a strong flavor as ginger? I think I'll probably just have to treat it as medicine while I try it and swallow it down.

I have a headache today, it feels like my head's going to split open. I think I should stop looking at a computer screen now. Oh, we did get the acid stained concrete done finally--we had to wait about 3 1/2 weeks for the sealer to get lost in the mail and finally be delivered. Last night 'Chung and I put the finish (really toxic stuff, probably why I have a headache) on the floor. It's great stuff though, it dried in about 4 hours. We're putting another coat on today just and it should be done in time for 'Chung's mom to have a mini-retreat here tomorrow with her Berkeley students. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ginger is often used in pregnancy to control nausea. (Didn't work for me, by the way.) Anyhow, I think I once found a ginger chewing gum that was tolerable because it was mixed with peppermint or spearmint. They also make preggie pops (I think that's what they're called) that have ginger in them. You could probably try an internet search.

Those candied ginger pieces are AWFUL! And if you think that was bad, I won't tell you what happened when I ate them when I was pregnant with A.! :)