22 July 2006

Yippee it's done!!

It's amazing! We just converted tons and tons of junk into $340 in cash. Not too bad considering the fact that the vast majority really was just junk and priced accordingly. Only problem was that I forgot sunscreen until about noon and consequently look like a lobster now.

In the last few hours we finally made everything free. It was so fun to see people's look when they'd pick up one or two things and then we'd say it's all free they'd go grab a box and fill it up. I think about half the stuff was left by free time and we watched the pile dwindle to almost nothing. It's incredible what the word free does to people, myself included. The picture was taken right around free time...yep, there was twice that or more before. We had stuff in the garage that we found from the former tenant of the house, three or four roommates, a host of various construction workers, as well as some items of unknown origin.

Interestingly, even with the lowest prices people would try to drive you down, down, down. That's normal, and it only bothered me a few times when I'd total up their price, knock it down by $5 or so and then they'd come up with a box full of other stuff and want me to throw it all in. However, once we made everything free about half of the people would try to pay. Strange. I couldn't figure that one out. Do they feel guilty for taking things free? Seriously, we had one family who insisted on giving us $10, another $5 and about three or four others who kept offering to pay until we finally convinced them that we're just happy the things won't go to waste.

Oh well, it feels good, no--amazing--to be done with that phase. Now I have to put the house back together and find a place for the things I'm keeping 'til we have space.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations-- that's a great feeling! Do you have any plans for the extra money? :)

Rahime said...

Why yes, we do. The one thing I didn't want to spend it on was buying more stuff!! So, we've decided to let this pay for a little trip we're taking in Sept.

We're going to Nevada to attend a shooting school. We've got some free certificates for the course (and are looking for people to join us, but not having much luck), but hopefully the money from the yard sale will cover some of the other expenses of staying there. I think we're planning to take a four-day defensive handgun course, though there are others. I thought sniper school would be fun, but I guess that's more advanced. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow-- I think that "shooting school" was the last thing I expected your answer to be! :) I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that you would have something creative and unique planned, although I am curious as to what brought this idea to mind. =)