05 October 2006

It's October Already!?

I love Autumn. Especially since I live in a mild climate. I'm not sure if I'd be so fond of it if it were announcing months of snow to follow. I am actually beginning to appreciate the Bay Area weather even though it is a bit cold for me. It's just starting to cool here and yesterday we had our first rain for the season. Of course, with the mild climate we miss out on some of the beauty of autumn.


In Vermont around this time of year the maple trees are singing one last song as their leaves turn bright reds, oranges and yellows before falling away for the winter.
I sometimes wish we experienced that here,
but I wouldn't trade our winter for theirs in a million years.






One thing October does bring around here though is the Great Glass Pumpkin Patch.

It's become somewhat of a tradition for me to go ever since a roommate told us about it shortly after 'Chung and I got married. She was moving back to New England after living in the Bay area for over a decade and was lamenting that she would miss the pumpkin patch. She had collected about fifty or so of them over the years she'd been going to the pumpkin patch.



Each year the Bay Area Glass Institute (BAGI) sets up thousands of glass pumpkins in the lawn of the Palo Alto art center. They display them for about a week and then on the weekend open it up for sales.




I've never actually bought one of the beautiful pumpkins at the show since I usually go during the display-only days. Plus, they're rather costly (and sadly...though I guess good for the artists...even in the past two years I've seen a significant jump in price).

I have,
though, found a lovely little antique shop where one artist sells some of his work much more affordable and have managed to get my sister hooked on them.


I just love to go a look at them and marvel in the creativity of the artists--no two are ever alike. If you're ever in the Bay Area in early October, don't miss it.


Its magical.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! I have never heard of such a thing, but what a lovely seasonal tradition! I especially liked the gourd at the end--reminds me of butternut squash...yum. :)

Annie Jeffries said...

Found you from Ascender's site. Gorgeous pumpkins. I keep stumbling across these little gems and think I must find a few for myself.