Another baby blanket
Ashley's baby shower is coming up on Saturday, so I have been working this week to finish her baby's blanket. I was really looking forward to making this one since it's the first one I've done for a girl. It was surprisingly difficult to choose a good color combination though.
I started with a nice pink and brown toile which would be used for the border. After I gathered an assortment of potential fabrics, 'Chung and I spent some time narrowing our options and looking for the best combination.
There are some fabulously soft chenilles on the market these days, and I wanted to try to make this one the softest yet. I also looked for textural variety so that when you touch it, it feels luxurious.
When we finally chose a good combination...after many hours of deliberation...I set to work sewing. I'm lazy enough that I don't want too much complexity in my projects...straight lines...nothing fancy.
Here's the finished product:
Close up:
And the back side:
All ready to go:
The other fun part was putting together the little things I've been collecting for the past...oh...7 months, and assembling them into a "diaper cake". I didn't want to do disposable diapers...though I know they'll use millions of those, so I used cloth diapers for the top layer. They can use them as burp clothes, etc. I decorated some of those with different fabrics and some are plain.
The middle layer is mainly a play blanket that I made for the ground with little bits of this an that in between. The bottom (pink boxes) are clothes...not that they need any of those...between generous friends and fabulous South Orange County garage sales, this kid's gonna be well dressed. After we get to my mom's house I'll add another ribbon around the bottom boxes to tie them in better.

3 comments:
I cannot "oooh!" and "aaah!" enough, Rahime. The quilt you made is simply gorgeous, and the diaper cake is truly extravagant in all the right ways. What a good big sister you are! Ashley is going to love it. :)
Thanks! They were fun to make.
I am amazed! Nice work!
Post a Comment