More on Guns
One thing I forgot to mention in last night's post, is the primary reason we shoot: it's fun. Now, I'll admit, I'd take being curled up on the couch with a good book over being on the range with a handgun any day (and any time). But, in terms of hobbies that 'Chung and I can enjoy together, this one is near the top of the list. We initially started shooting because 'Chung and I thought it would be a fun way to spend some time together developing a skill which we both considered important.
Brandy left a comment on my previous post that got me thinking some more thoughts which I am inclined to share.
Incidents like the VA Tech shootings (and other situations in which civilians are allowed to be target-practice for angry or disturbed criminals) make me thing more people should at least be trained in self-defense (if not in the use of firearms).
Brandy's comment also re-kindled some of my thoughts regarding families with guns. The decision to own firearms does carry with it many additional choices...particularly when one has children to consider. We don't have children, but did put a bit of thought into how to approach the issue with children. IF we do have children someday they will learn how to safely handle weapons as well as the appropriate uses for them (though they'll learn with airsoft until we're confident that they are mature enough to handle such a responsibility and understand the weight of it). Safe gun handling includes four basic unbendable rules:
1. Treat every gun as if it were loaded. Along with this goes the principle of checking to see if a gun is loaded as soon as you pick it up...even if the person who just handed it to you just checked it and you saw them do so...once a gun is in your hands, it's your responsibility.
2. Keep your finger off and away from the trigger at all times until you are ready to shoot.
3. Do not allow the muzzle to cover (point at) anything unless you are willing to shoot it. Be in control of the direction of the firearm and be sure it is pointed in a safe direction.
4. Know your target and be sure of you line of fire before you press the trigger.
It continually amazes me that the some of the most unsafe people to be around at the shooting range are consistently those who are supposed to have the most experience: law enforcement and military personnel. I continually see people who should know better holding their finger over the trigger or swinging around and letting their gun follow them. Over-confidence and cockiness are dangerous characteristics in a gun owner.
I strongly believe that if a gun is going to be in the same house as an untrained person (this includes, visiting guests, adults, children--anyone and everyone) it MUST be in a locked box or safe. For this reason, before 'Chung even started thinking about putting the rifles together (they were in pieces before and still aren't complete) we purchased and installed a safe which can hold the long guns. It doesn't take long after handling a gun to realize that they don't "just go off"...especially not ones that are legal to own in CA, since those have to pass drop tests in addition to having a variety of safeties on them...but accidents (human error) can happen. We do keep our handguns loaded (with no bullet in the chamber) in a smaller safe.
Ok, I'm done now.

3 comments:
When were you held at gunpoint? How have I missed this?
Well, it was more like "harassed" at gunpoint. I was a freshman in high school...my family was overseas.
Not really a big deal, but it is what originally got me thinking about this stuff.
I am much more at peace knowing Rahime has means and skills to defend herself when I'm away from home.
I've been thinking lately about the strange connection in Bible characters between 3 types of people. . . singers, warriors, and leaders. It's something that I glazed over most of the time and my mind put the "un-applicable" label on it.
Ps. 144-bits
"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me. . . I will sing a new song to you, O God; on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to you, to the One who gives victory to kings, who delivers his servant David from the deadly sword. . . Then our sons in their youth will be like well-nurtured plants, and our daughters will be like pillars carved to adorn a palace. . . There will be no breaching of walls, no going into captivity, no cry of distress in our streets."
I had never noticed before the part about "the Lord who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle". Part of the responsibility of owning firearms is to have your hands and fingers trained. . . the other part is to pre-determine very carefully and soberly the conditions in which you would go "to war". I certainly hope that those conditions are never met in my lifetime.
The gun is not evil or good in and of itself. To a person of peace, the gun becomes an instrument to extend peace to his surroundings. To a person of malice, fear, or hate, the gun becomes an instrument to extend malice, fear, or hate. You could say the same of a pen or any other implement.
Post a Comment