20 May 2008

new project

Hi neglected blog friends. I'm in the midst of helping kids study for finals: busy season. However, I've got a big project in the back of my mind which will need to start as soon as school's out. We're planning to remodel our kitchen next, and hopefully finish it over the summer...heehee, this is wildly optimistic, but we at least need to start in the summer. So far we're in the preliminary planning stages, and are looking for good layout. I love the idea of designing a kitchen for us to use that will work around our lifestyle, and hopefully with doing as much as possible ourselves, we will be able to do it without completely breaking the bank. Working with the space we have (small) will be a challenge.

This leads me to a few questions for people who cook: What's your favorite aspect of your kitchen? What do you dislike? One particular issue we've come across so far is that of counter space. If you feel like you have enough counter space for cooking, how long are your counters? How much of them do you use when you cook? I know that we don't have enough now...a few 16" spaces...but I'm not really sure what would be sufficient. We don't always cook every night, but when we do it's usually both 'Chung and me in the kitchen. Also on a fairly regular basis (about every month or two) we cook for a crowd, usually around 20, but up to about 50. Of course being around my client's extra-large, gourmet kitchens (many of which have recently had six-figure face-lifts) doesn't help my sense of needs vs. wants, but I'm trying to have balance here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/input.



2 comments:

Brandy Vencel said...

Okay. I tried to leave a comment here yesterday. Hopefully, it works this time!

I believe I started my previous comment by saying I had missed your blogging. It was true. :)

I love my kitchen, for the most part. The best thing about it is the island. Those aren't very practical in small spaces, but maybe the benefits would be workable in another way. What I like is that there is a handy place for others to sit while I'm preparing a meal. It allows me, the Head Chef, to still be sociable with the family or with our guests.

If I were designing my own kitchen, I'd get smooth surfaces. My grout is always dirty, no matter how often I wipe and scrub. Also, I'd measure any odd-sized things you own before desiging your storage. For instance, I use tall, 5-gallon buckets to keep our bulk grains in. They fit fine in the bottom of my pantry, but we are house shopping and it looks like I might end up with them in a linen closet someday!

I also find that double-ovens are more useful than a built-in microwave, but I suppose that depends on your style...

If you begin a new project, we all expect photos, you know. :)

Rahime said...

Thanks Brandy, I miss blogging too. Hopefully I'll get back to it in the summer. I'm sorry you weren't able to leave your comment yesterday. It drives me nuts when I have something all written out and blogger won't let it post.

An island would be really nice, though I'm not sure we'll be able to fit seating. We're hoping to put in a rolling one (if we can find one that works well) that can be moved out of the way when we're not using it. I'll try to post some pictures of our plans at some point. They're in process, but they at least give an idea of the space we're working with and the flow of the house in relation to the kitchen.

I completely agree about the solid surface counters. I hate the grimy grout I have now. It seems to be some sort of kitchen infidelity to say so, but I don't really care for granite, so I'm not sure what that solid surface will be...at this point maybe copper, maybe concrete.

I'm hoping for a double oven too. Agh--I want a big kitchen in my small kitchen.