25 June 2008

Latest Adventure

Let me begin by pointing out that today is an important day in the history of America's relationship with her 2nd Constitutional Amendment. In a Supreme Court ruling today, the court affirmed that the right to bear and keep arms is indeed an individual right and, specifically, that Washington D.C.'s laws, which effectively make it impossible to keep a gun even in one's own home, were determined to be unconstitutional. After decades of rejecting cases regarding the 2nd Amendment, the highest court in our nation could no longer ignore the issue. Practically speaking, this ruling may have little or no immediate effect, and there were some sections that were disconcerting. Hopefully, however, it will set the precedent for future cases related to infringement of the 2nd Amendment rights. The entire ruling can be found here under District of Columbia v. Heller.



On to today's topic. This year, we decided to take a class designed to start training us to shoot while moving.



First off, let me preface by saying I don't plan to ever need to use this skill in real life. However, if one were in a dire situation involving guns, standing in one place does not make sense. It does make one an easy target. On the other hand, moving quickly while grasping a firearm is a little more tricky and requires some extra care to safely execute.



This class, Suarez International and Roger Phillips' Point Shooting Progressions, taught the basics of shooting when it isn't prudent to stand in one place or carefully acquire a sight picture.



One nice thing about the class was the relatively large number of women who attended (4 out of 14 students). One of the couples (who have attended previously and are themselves SI instructors) helped to instruct mainly on the second day when the extreme heat and large class meant Phillips needed a little extra help out there.




This class was not only very informative, it was a lot of fun. It was surprising to see the speed and accuracy with which students were able to shoot using this technique in a short time, even with one hand.



I enjoyed learning some of the footwork involved in moving effectively. Even though I didn't quite get the hang of some of the maneuvers which, to me, were akin to dancing, but I came away with lots to practice at home, and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.


Well, we're off to eat steak tonight and celebrate the Heller decision!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post!!!! I am celebrating with you, just the thought that they were discussing taking away our 2nd Amendment rights scared the you know what out of me!

Can I just say you impress me so much with your shooting abilities! What a great class, I'm so glad you guys did it. I really need to get back into shooting, this made me miss it!

Take care,
Barbara

PS Don't you love it on TV when someone will grab two guns, one in each hand and run while shooting them both and hit their intended target all the while looking super cool and sexy? So realistic!

Rahime said...

Thanks Barbara! I want to shoot just like they do on TV. :) The class was pretty fun though. You should do one sometime.

We were pretty nervous about the second amendment thing for a while there. Now it looks like there's a chance to get some of CA's more crazy legislation either stopped or reversed. Did you know they want to pass a law to eliminate handgun training in CA? Wouldn't want gun owners to be safely trained.