26 January 2006

This Old/New House Pt. 3

Ok, one more house post and I'll stop (for a while). 'Chung just amazes me. He'd never built anything before (well, aside from his bass, but that's another story), when he decided to take on this project. One of the first major challenges was framing the complex "hip" roof...look at all the angles... aren't they pretty? Evidently it was pretty tricky getting it to look like that. He's also done the electrical work, tile, floors (I did help a little with them too), hooked up plumbing, and a hundred other things he's learned to do as he goes.

He installed the lights upstairs just before Thanksgiving and we were able to use the room for Thanksgiving dinner (good thing too, 'cause we couldn't fit 13 people into the old part of the house if we wanted to). These last pictures are of the loft (first looking up at it and the second taken up in the loft). Yep, we're planning to sleep up there.... though I think we'll put some sort of railing...a little scary otherwise. As it's getting closer...looking more and more like a "real house" I'm getting pretty antsy to move up to the new section. I'll add new pictures as we make progress.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rahime! I am simply in AWE of your house! It is beautiful! And what an amazing adventure to learn to do it himself. I have a huge amount of respect for you guys...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm impressed!

Gracie said...

I am truly impressed and amazed. Must come for a visit soon! =)