27 January 2006

Even not-so-good books....

...make you think about stuff. I'm reading a novel right now which a friend recommended. I'm not done yet, but so far I'm not impressed. It's called On Love by Alain de Botton. I guess it's what he was going for, but its just about the most superficial "love" story ever. I guess it's an interesting commentary...and seems pretty accurate at that...on the way people today see falling in and out of love.

Anyway, the narrator "falls in love" with a woman he meets on a flight from Paris to London...I think from what I remember, that's about a one hour trip. Not, in my opinion, time to decide that the stranger sitting next to you is "the one". They jump quickly into a relationship and she starts to "irritate" him from just about day one. Honestly, I suppose I don't really believe in the concept of there being one person out there somewhere who was made for you. It makes for a nice story, but when it comes down to it I think love is more about deciding to commit to looking out for one another, pursue common goals, and grow together, and less about being with "the right" person. Seems like too easy of a excuse to break up or divorce..."Well, I though he was "the one", but then I realized he wasn't." I fact that's basically my father's line right now..."I really think A.'s 'the one', we have a real connection." Really? More of a "connection" than you have with the person you spent 30 years with and raised 3 children with? Amazing.

Maybe this just isn't a good time in my life to read books like this, but to me it really seems depressing. Because, if love really can happen in an instant, what's to stop it from ending and an equally short time? I have to believe that there's more to it than the fleeting whims of butterflies in my gut. I don't think I'll finish this book. I did a little reading of the reviews on Amazon, and, while many people give it rave reviews, it seems later in the story the woman leaves him for someone else and he attempts suicide as a result of his despair. Incidentally, Amazon "recommends" and equally horrid (in my opinion...I read it last year) book for people who're interested in this one: Madame Bovary.

Well, this year doesn't seem to be a good one for fiction for me (in Sept. I read The Secret Life of Bees...I don't even want to get started on that one) ...maybe I'll stick with non-fiction for a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...this sounds like a book I would definitely skip. I actually think it's sad that the culture truly believes that relationships based purely on instinct (like a beast would have) are more romantic or fulfilling than what has traditionally been marriage as you spoke of it: commitment, the binding together of two lives.

Anonymous said...

Rahime, I am saddened to discover the facts of your life. I had no idea about your parents.... I agree with you that we can learn much from even "bad books" if we are open to the possibility of books being wrong. It's when we assume that all books are "gospel truth" that reading any books becomes a problem. The same is true for what we watch or listen to as well. Must think! I also agree that the one you marry is inherently "the one." They become "the one" the second you vow to spend your life with them. And, I have to confess, I enjoyed Madame Bovary. I read it in high school. (I'm a sucker for 19th century literature though!) They're the type of books that have enough depth to make themselves "worth it."

Rahime said...

Kris, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I hadn't told you about my parents....I guess we really haven't talked for a LONG time. I agree, that with Madame Bovary did have more depth...enough to make it worth reading. I actually think timing had a lot to do with me not liking that book. I didn't realize what the plot was about and ended up reading it right around the time my parents were separating. If I'd read it at a different...not so emotional...time, it probably would've been better.

:)