Baby Blanket Project
Today I'm starting a baby quilt for my sister-in-law's little boy who's due in July. This'll be my weekend project for the next couple weeks. The fabrics are currently in the laundry, once they're washed I'll recruit 'Chung to help me start cutting.
The design for this blanket was inspired by an adorable scrapbook that I found at an upscale card shop which happened to be going out of business the day I wandered in (quite a shame 'cause it was a beautiful store, but everything was WAY overpriced originally). It was 75% off... shhhhhhh.
Actually, I'll probably tell 'Chung's sister, because I know she enjoys a good deal just as much as we do. She was thrilled when we found her a $40 snowboarder lego set for just $5 ...and I guess that's really all the snowboarding she'll get to do for a little while. Anyways, back to the quilt. The fabric that the scrapbook was covered with was easily tracked down on ebay (it's called Topsy Turvy by Covington) and though it's a bit more pricey than I'd normally spend, I only need a little bit, and already had some of the other fabrics.
I decided to stray from the blue/red color scheme on the scrapbook because it looks like baby's room is going to be more greens than blues. Plus, the last quilt I did for Chung's brother's baby boy was blue and white, so I need a little variety.
Below are the fabrics.
The back will be the top fabric which is a pale yellow fleece (not quite as light as it looks in the pic., but a baby yellow)
The front will consist of squares of the next 4 fabrics: a pale yellow minky (extremely soft, like fuzzy satin...also not quite as pale as pictured), a natural ivory wavy chenille, a light sage striped chenille, and a darker sage chenille with wider stripes.
The blanket will have a wide border (that wraps around the front and back) of the Topsy Turvy Circus Toile.
I'm debating a little about any other accents. It'll be a tied quilt (actually quilting is a little to complicated for my limited sewing skills), so I need to pick a color for the threads. I'm thinking about tying it with thin ribbons to give a satiny texture. I might try another border on the front between the toile and chenille. It would probably be either a satin or grosgrain ribbon.
Any of you moms have a suggestion for the perfect size? I think the last one I did ended up being too big.

No comments:
Post a Comment