Brazil Day 2 cont'd
Ok, I have insomnia, so I'll go ahead and write about the rest of today. When I get pictures up, though I think it'll be much better.
Brazilians speak any English, and none of the Americans speak Portuguese. We tried to communicate a bit with Spanish, but mostly it was just through hand motions. The party started with some appetizers passed around and quickly jumped into the first game. Each guest was given a balloon. Mike and Mel
(in the red shirt and the orange shirt, respectively) took turns asking people to pop their balloon and read what was printed on a slip of paper in the balloon. Most had a question for either Mike or Mel. For the chá-de-cozinha (shower) that Mel’s friends had for them was hilarious. None of the example, each was asked what the other’s first word was. Mike was asked what Mel’s sister’s favorite song is and Mel was asked questions like the full name of Mike’s paternal grandfather. Others had them singing to someone or doing some other silly thing. If they got the wrong answer, the guest would then get the opportunity to draw on their face with lipstick. Also as the game progressed they were made to put on silly clothes so that by the time they were done both looked hilarious. If they got the question right, however, they got to use the lipstick on the guest’s face.
Throughout the party the Brazilians gave each other and us new nicknames…mostly after movie stars and other celebrities. They really got a kick out of nicknaming ‘Chung Jackie Chan (though they couldn’t pronounce Chan), and chanted his name over and over throughout the evening. We were supposed to call each other by the nicknames throughout the party. There was a Whitney Houston, a Julia Roberts, and a Naomi Campbell, among others. Another little game consisted of the bride and groom each choosing someone to “convince” them why they should marry. Mike chose one of Mel’s friends, and she dramatically said all of the qualities in Mel that she thought reason’s Mike should marry her. Mike then had to translate and copy the hand-motions she used. ‘Chung then had to do the same and Melissa had to copy him and translate into Portuguese.
The couple opened their gifts, and evidently many of the Americans didn’t realize that this was sort of a “kitchen shower”…I ran chá-de-cozinha through an online translator and learned that cozinha means kitchen. The Brazilians howled in laughter when Mike’s aunts and mother gave them some of the gifts (lingerie, a massage kit, and best of all, from his eldest aunt, vibrating heart pillows). Finally they topped it off with “dressing” Mike and Mel in their wedding attire using toilet paper. I can honestly say I have never been to a wedding shower that was so much fun and where everyone seemed to have such a great time.
One thing that has surprised me is how few people speak any English. Mel speaks quite a lot since she’s been working on it for 3 years now, but even she has not had much practice lately as they decided since they’re living her for the next few years it’s more urgent that Mike learn Portuguese.
After cleaning up the party, which was held at a tennis club Mel’s parents are members of (and where the wedding reception will be), we headed back to the hotel. Across the street is a little snack shop/bar that mainly sells cokes, beer and peanuts. Last night ‘Chung and I could hear people hanging out there until the wee hours of the morning (our window looks out on it). So, we decided it wasn’t too late to go out and play some card games. Almost the whole group played. Though the game wasn’t much to write about, fun, but normal card game, we laughed just about the whole time ‘cause Mike’s family is sooooo funny. 


Oh boy, I'm going to be hating tomorrow when morning comes. If I fall asleep now I'll get 3 hours. Tomorrow we're going to Mel's parents house to visit and then, in the afternoon we'll watch the game. Brazil is playing in the World Cup, and evidently the whole town shuts down for each game they play in. So far, there hasn't been as much hype about the World Cup that I've seen (there was more driving through the Norwalk area) last week, but I suspect that will change when Brazil is actually playing. Soccer is one sport I actually enjoy watching on TV, but it's sooooo much more fun in a place where they really appreciate and love "footbol".... Ashley, remember France 8 years ago (yikes, it really has been that long!!)? I don't know if anything can compare to that, but I do think Brazilians are even more serious about the sport than the French are. Good night all. Boa noite.

2 comments:
This sounds like a fun trip! How do you know the bride and groom? I hope you get some good sleep soon, but I give you kudos for using your insomnia so productively! ;-)
Hi! I guess I forgot to mention that. 'Chung went to school with the groom from 3rd-8th grade. They went to different high schools and colleges, but maintained their friendship. Mike met Mel when he was on a two week mission trip to Brazil and his group from Virginia (where he worked...and technically still works from) joined up with a group from her church. They met just a couple weeks before 'Chung and my wedding 3 years ago...he wasn't able to come for our wedding, but we saw him a few days before and he told us about her and had such a glow we knew they'd last even though at that point all of thier communication was through Babel Fish's free online translator.
Post a Comment