21 June 2006

Brazil Days 1 & 2

I need to get some pictures up sometime, but we forgot our usb plug for the camera, so that'll have to wait, but I thought I'd write a little about the trip so far.

As far as the journey to get here, I can sum it up with one word: LONG. For those who want the long version, read on. I was already exhausted by the time we got to New York after waking up at 5:00 am on Mon., getting to SFO by 6, standing in line for the entire 1.5 hours until our flight left (we made it on the plane, but were pretty close to last), and flying for 5.5 hours. Then came the 6 hour layover at JFK before leaving at. As far as the journey to get here, I can sum it up with one word: LONG. For those who want the long version, read on. I was already exhausted by the time we got to New York after waking up at 5:00 am on Mon., getting to SFO by 6, standing in line for the entire 1.5 hours until our flight left (we made it on the plane, but were pretty close 10 pm to fly to Sao Paulo. That was a 10 hour flight. Normally, I have NO problem sleeping on planes...fall asleep before take off, wake a few times for water, and wake up during landing. Not this time. I didn't sleep for more than 10 minutes at a time the whole flight. Needless to say, when we got to Sao Paulo I was beyond sleepy. Fifteen of Mike's (the groom) family members and friends flew in around the same time. Mike and Mel met us at the airport.

Now comes the 6 hour bus ride to Assis, the city where Mel, the bride, lives. Fortunately, they had chartered a luxurious bus (I could completely stretch out my legs without hitting the seat in front of me, the seats were wide, cushy--as demonstrated by Mike's aunt--and each came with an foot rest, a heavy blanket and a pillow), so I slept the whole way.

About half-way to Assis we stopped at a rest stop. It had a huge cafeteria-like restaurant with a incredible assortment of delicious snacks, desserts, and food. Of course, I didn't pay much attention to the food, but the desserts were amazing, some of the most beautiful cakes, pies, and truffles, I've ever seen. I had a piece of lemon pie that was similar to a key-lime pie, but creamier. They also had a lovely little home furnishing store next door to the
cafeteria. (Remember, this is a gas station/rest stop in the middle of no where.) It was like a cross between a Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn type place and a little shabby chic boutique. The thing that impressed me the most about this rest stop was how meticulously clean everything was. It was beautiful. Honestly, when we were driving away and getting back on the highway, I saw a man sweeping the median on the freeway entrance ramp. Everything, especially the restrooms, was clean.

When we arrived in Assis it was about 7:30 pm. Tues. The hotel we're in is one of only a few in this smallish city which doesn't see many (any) tourists. It is also quaint, and though nothing fancy, it's clean and very well thought-out (for example, they thought to put both 220 and 110 voltage plugs in so that us foreigners don't need converters, and the lights in the room only turn on if you put your key in a slot near the door--never lose your key). Lots of little perks we didn't expect. After a quick shower we all went out to pizza together. It was delicious. My

favorite: the chocolate and banana pizza we had for dessert. (Mike's boss and his wife are the couple with the waiter holding the chocolate pizza.)

I must say, I think travelling with other people's extended family is sooooo fun. Mike's parents, brother, two aunts, an uncle and cousin on his mom's side and two aunts on his dad's side all came for the wedding. Put them all together and you have a bundle of laughs. I told 'Chung we should travel with other people's families more often....and if I ever get a chance to take a trip with this family again, I won't even have to think about it, I'm going.

This morning we were served the most incredible "continental breakfast" complete with
cheese, etc. etc. 'Chung and I realized after papaya, eggs, jello, a huge assortment of breads, breakfast that with the 4 hours time change 8:30 am really did feel like 4:30 am and we took a nap after breakfast until noon. I sort of regret that, but I still haven't caught up on sleep, so it was needed. When we woke up we took a walk to the local mall and wandered around before meeting the group again to get on the bus. We went to the town about an hour away to see where Melissa goes to school and visit Mike's new apartment. Great place...cozy (tiny), and only $325 a month for a smallish 2 bedroom 2 bath. Around that point I was pretty much ready to move.

When we got home tonight we went to the chá-de-cozinha (which was basically a shower) which had been held off until this week so we could attend. More on that next time....

No comments: