52 Weeks photo project: January
One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to participate in the 52 weeks photo project this year through the Great Dane forum on which I participate, and take a weekly picture of each of my pups. I'm hoping to post the months pictures the following month in one blog post.
Each week, we are given a theme to work with. So far, I'm undecided about whether or not I like doing the project this way. I sometimes feel as though I'd capture better pictures and pull the camera out more often (which is the goal of this, after all), with less stress if I weren't worried about keeping in line with a theme. On the other hand, it does give me a place to start and something to think about (which is good because one of my weaknesses whether in writing or cooking or anything is coming up with fresh ideas.
I've already learned a few things: 1) I'm not great with the camera, but I think this is an area where I can grow and improve with practice. 2) Brembo is hard to photograph. She's hard to see in pictures, no matter what the light. 3) Puffin is easier to see. 4) Dogs move quickly and don't always "cooperate" with what you have planned for them.
So, since it's already well into February, here are my January photos. Clicking on the photo should take you to a larger version on my flickr page.
Week one's theme was NEWNESS.
Brembo plans her new year.
Had a million ideas for this week's photo of this Puffin: new show career, getting a new "look" in the bath, even just a face shot of her sparkly eyes and adoring face because she's the one who is constantly reminding me that every day, every minute, every second is a new one.
Puffin has a thing for basset hounds, and when she met this puppy girl I was so disappointed that all I had with me was the cell phone camera. But I love seeing things from her perspective. Really, that's one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this picture when I've tried to pick one, she sees with such fresh eyes. BTW, the puppy came to say hi to Puffin, and Puffin was quickly joined by big sister Brembo and Brembo's blue boyfriend. She's in a submissive "oh my gosh surrounded by 3 gigantic creatures" roll over in the shot, but was wagging her whole body and seconds later was flipped back upright and ready to play with her new harlie friend.
Week two was themed TREASURE.
It's the little things in life: Nothing better than a big stick.
This was a tough one for me because I was away for the weekend and kept thinking of things I'd love to try, and then when I sat down to sort through the pictures I did take, I didn't find anything that really jumped out at me, but I did have several that I considered ok--acceptable at least.
Around here, we try to treasure the little things in life...and for the dogs, sometimes the "big" ones when it comes to sticks. My girls show their enthusiasm for their "treasures" in very different ways here. For Brembo, it's sheer joy and exuberance. This is almost her perpetual state. 
Puffin loves it when the stick is being "held" (whether by a person's hand, stuck the ground, or still attached to a tree) for her to chew on. Here, she has a more quiet intensity that contrasts with Brembo's bouncy exuberance.
Week four's theme was TEXTURE.
I decided to use take a look at the various textures of the foods my dogs eat. I love the way Brembo's jowls crinkle up when she takes a bite of her ground beef.
Puffin loves to crunch into lamb bones. They're one of her favorite tasty treats.
Week four was themed SHADOW.
We've had such amazing weather lately, this was a perfect day for a romp in the park with a stick. I love Brembo's play bow, she has such a playful spirit. I also liked how soft her shadow is on the grass and how the sun makes her side gleam while her face is a bit obscured by the shadows.
I had several pics of Puffin this week that I liked equally. I chose this one because I like how crisp her shadow is on the pavement. She's standing, looking out over the water, which I wish I'd captured in this shot, one of her favorite past times.

No comments:
Post a Comment