08 July 2006

Motivation

Why do I find it so hard sometimes to get motivated? This summer I've decided to work on a project. It's kind of daunting, but needs to get done. I'm purging. Our garage is stacked floor to ceiling packed with stuff...tons and tons of stuff. Now, granted some of the stuff is construction materials. Not much I can do about that, but most of it is boxes of my junk from various moves. When I first moved to the Bay area my parents decided that it was time I moved completely out of their house. So, what did I do? I boxed up all my stuff and moved it with me. But, my first oh, about 4 apartments weren't big enough, so almost everything stayed in boxes. Over the past years there have been more boxes added to the original ones so that right now I have things that I haven't even seen in 6-8 years (some of it was packed away when I went to college and moved up here without even opening it).

Ok, so now is the time, and if I don't get it done this summer it'll have to wait until next year, and I don't want that. I've started, but basically I've managed to make our house a total mess....and I'm not even close to half way through. I console myself with the knowledge that my books are on the bottom of the pile and it will be great to see some of those old friends again (though I won't be getting rid of many...but I almost have a place to put them). One of the things I should be doing as I go along is putting some things on ebay or craigslist to sell (before having a big garage sale with most of the junk later in the summer), but I've just had a terrible time getting motivated to do it.

I'm at a point now where I've run out of boxes to sort until 'Chung has a chance to reshuffle some of the construction materials (many of which need to go on craigslist themselves), so it'd be a perfect time to take the things I've already got to go and take the pictures and list them. So why is it so difficult to get going?? I can find a hundred other things to do instead (though I'm running out, I've already reorganized most of our closets, the tupperware cupboard, the bathroom, etc.), but I just don't do the thing I need to do.


No comments: