House Update
Here's what we've been working on lately. Try to disregard all of the mess. We're trying to finish the downstairs part of the addition...actually, our goal is to have it done and furniture moved in by the 11th of August 'cause we're having a little worship gathering the evening of the 12th and are leaving a few days to visit my mom for a bit.
I'm not sure if we'll completely make it. I doubt we'll get the washer and dryer hooked up by then. We're also planning to make a play area in one part of the room, but we won't do that until later. We should, however be able to get the living room furniture moved over there and have all the trim done.
The trim's been fun work, but it's definitely a bit slower than some things because of the necessity for precision. We're really glad the proportions turned out ok, 'cause we chose the different parts in a somewhat piecemeal fashion. We tried to find something that maintained an appropriate feel for the size and style of the house (without being as boring as the original part of the house or too formal for it's size and use) while still satisfying my need for beauty and our need to control the cost. We couldn't really see it all together before it was all done. Well, 'Chung could probably visualize it better than I could. I have a harder time with the abstract stuff.
We ended up primarily using straight, plain wood for most of the trim which was very inexpensive. We put a standard cap on top of the baseboards which found at Home Depot (I think it was originally made for something else, but it looks good there). These all looked great after painting, but I had a tough time finding something for the window and door crown. These we spent a little more on, but since we didn't need a whole lot it turned out ok. I was concerned about finding the right crown, but the lumber store where we've bought most of the lumber at for the house had a limited selection which included one perfect choice.

4 comments:
Everything looks beautiful.
Rahime,
I love seeing the pictures of what you and Chung are doing to the house as it inspires me as to what we can do with our house. Thank!
It's looking so... housey.
You guys are amazing.
Hi Katie. We miss you. Come visit. Bring friends.
Post a Comment