Question for You
Read any good books lately?
I need a new one for my last few weeks of summer. After that I'll be looking for audio books again.
Of all human institutions, marriage is the one which most depends on slow development, upon patience, upon long reaches of time, upon magnanimous compromise, upon kindly habit. ~GK Chesterton
Read any good books lately?
I need a new one for my last few weeks of summer. After that I'll be looking for audio books again.
3 comments:
We just started the original Peter Pan by Barrie a couple nights ago. I never read it as a child, and it is so endearing that I am now convinced one must read it as a child to experience the pure magic and then again as an adult to really appreciate all the grown-up insights. It is, thus far, a great read...and it is quite short as books go, if you are looking for something faster.
I recently heard of a new nonfiction work that I want to read. You might find it interesting: The Unsettling of America by Wendell Berry. Though the focus of the book is on America's relationship to the land as expressed in modern agribusiness, I've heard that there are a lot of insights applicable to a lot of areas of life, including church. Berry is a poet/farmer...interesting guy.
I wish I had a book to recommend to you! I am re-reading Finding God by Larry Crabb and reading The Lovely Bones and a book about U2 - can't think of the title.
Thank you.
Barbara, our roommate had Finding God laying around in her room for a few weeks and I flipped through it. It looked really good...and must be if you're re-reading it. 'Chung was playing at a show in Santa Cruz last week and they were doing a bunch of top hits. They played a lot of U2. I've always loved their music, but never really paid attention to the lyrics. As we were driving down to Santa Cruz I was reading the lyrics from his charts. They've got some really good stuff. :) I'm sort of (well, incredibly) musically inept and ignorant.
Brandy, I loved Peter Pan. I'll have to check out the Unsettling of America. Sounds interesting. I was looking at its reviews on Amazon and he has an interesting comparison between our estrangement from the land and marital relationships. I wonder if he has any interesting insights toward a solution.
Post a Comment