Call+Respond
If you are anywhere near a showing of this film, Call+Response, GO see it. I initially became aware of the film because it was directed and produced by an old friend of 'Chung's, Justin Dillon, who we'd known has been interested for several years now in the issue of modern-day slavery. As opening day approached, I heard little trickles of buzz about the film, mostly through browsing blogs. I realize that they have no budget for marketing the film, but I wish it had been able to be more widely publicized. I think I even stumbled upon it a little by chance. Although I think some of the other showings were sold out (my guess is probably to churches), one of the biggest tragedies of our viewing of the film tonight was that 'Chung, our two friends and I shared the theater with only 6 other people...three of whom left after less than 20 minutes.
Slavery (for which the current politically-correct term is "human trafficking") is more prevalent in the world today than it was in the 400 years prior to its abolition in Europe or before the US Civil War. Along with drug trafficking and weapons trading, selling children, men and women for labor or sex is one of the most profitable organized crimes in the world. It is also one the fastest growing. From the children being kidnapped in Darfur to fight a war to the women and children being sold to brothels around the world and men forced to work in farms or mines, there are said to be over 27 million people enslaved worldwide. As someone who spent a fair amount of her childhood all over the world, I am aware of the reality of the problem and its pervasive reach. However, in my self-absorbed life I am often overwhelmed by the feeling that I can't really DO anything. I am also accutely cognizant of the fact that the people working to fight this problem are few, they are underfunded and their opponents are formidable. It is NOT a problem confined to "other parts of the world". Remember in May 2007 when a couple in Long Island was caught holding two women as slaves in their home? They were convicted earlier this year. This was not an isolated incident either; just check the slavery map linked to on the Call+Response site to see a tiny representation of the atrocities that occur in our own country as well as other parts of the world.
Dillon, who some may remember as Justin Stevens from the 1990s band Dime Store Prophets, basically took this problem and asked himself what he knows and what he can give to the solution. He's a musician and knows music. So, he decided to start doing benefit concerts to raise awareness. I'm not sure entirely how it developed into the Call+Response film, but I'm glad it did. Considering the limited exposure of his music within the industry (his current band, Tremolo, by the way, has produced some excellent music), Dillon was able to draw some fairly big names into the project.
The film blends the music of some excellent artists, several of whom I was familiar with and some I was not, with the discussion of this immense social justice problem between a variety of activists (including several well-known actresses, writers), politicians and people involved in organizations to help stop slavery, and meshes it all with the intriguing commentary of Dr. Cornel West of Princeton who connects music with the struggle for freedom.
Dillon states this on his blog linked to the film's website. "People WANT to help when they see something wrong with the world. Its just that we all have busy lives, and we don’t know how to actually be helpful to something so wrong as slavery. Our efforts can seem distant and not as proximate as breaking down a door rescuing a child. For me it was as simple as a song. That's what I know how to do. For others its was lighting a stage. For others is was setting up the microphones. For others it was arranging production crews. For others it was giving financial resources. We all had something to give. And how beautiful is it, when we ALL can come together and do what we do best, and see it matter? To see something happen. I had no idea what this project would become, and how much it would ultimately teach me." This film does more to raise awareness for the problem of human trafficking, whether for labor, sex or war than anything. One of it's best aspects is that it mentions alongside this exploitation of human lives the many industries that help to sustain it as well the deep corruption that protects it. We in the West should not stand by and continue to turn a blind eye to the misuse of other humans, acting as though our hands are clean, while continuing to purchase products from companies which either knowingly abuse people or look the other way while their suppliers do so. If nothing else, this is an action that each and every one of us can take.
Call+Response is playing for a very limited time in Atlanta, Austin, Berkeley, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Nashville, Irvine, Pleasant Hill, Portland, Redwood City, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, and Washington, DC. If it is at all possible for you to go see this film, please do. 100% of the proceeds of the film will go to support responsible organizations which are fighting the root causes of slavery in our world. If it is not possible for you to attend a show, I would encourage you to visit the website as there are many excellent clips from the movie and other resources listed there.

1 comment:
Rahime,
I linked here today!
Barbara
PS thanks for your love, encouragement and concern. It means a lot to me.
Post a Comment