09 November 2008

We're getting a puppy!!

I think I've waited about, oh, 17 years for this, from the first time I set eyes on a Great Dane. I'm getting a puppy. This weekend was quite event-full for 'Chung and I. But in between the fun-filled days learning to ride motorcycles on Saturday and Sunday, Chung and I went to visit puppies. They're so cute I couldn't resist posting pictures, I there's a lot, but indulge me. The puppies are still with their mother, who is a beautiful dog, and will be for at least 4 more weeks. We'll try to go visit again in a couple of weeks.




























8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS! They are too adorable for words! I don't think I've ever seen a Great Dane puppy! How many were in this litter? It looks like about six!

Have you picked out yours yet? Male or female? Names?

I am so happy for you!

Barbara

Rahime said...

So cute, huh? There are 8 in the litter. 4 male and 4 female. We're getting a girl, but we don't know which yet (two people...the breeder and someone who wants a show dog get to pick before us). No names yet, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jessica said...

Congratulations, you get a new baby! I can't wait to meet her.

Rahime said...

Thanks!! Only a few more weeks.

crazy4danes said...

Hi Rahime! It's Angela...Barbara's blogger friend! So glad you decided to get a Dane! Yes I have three...I have a 6 year old female black...a 6 year old male fawn...and a 9 year old female fawn!

I love the Danes...there is so much to talk about with them so I'll just give you a run down and if you have questions as you go feel free to ask!!! :D

They can be crazy puppies!!! And their puppy stage can be until they are 2!!! That's a BIG PUPPY!!! I TOTALLY recommend crate training a Dane...they can be destructive when bored...to give you and idea, when our female black Dane was 10 months old she was 135 lbs. and we left her while we went to dinner and she literally DESTROYED our king sized bed!!! She flipped the mattresses, dug them out and made a lovely mess...I had to laugh when I saw the disaster because I had been warned and never really though my "Angel" could do such a thing! LOL

They are GREAT with kids and so super easy to train because they are soooooo willing to please you! They are pretty much couch potatoes and don't do too much when they are older like mine, but eat, sleep, get pets, and sleep! LOL

They only downside besides a long puppy stage is cost...one really isn't bad, but we go through 60# of dog food a WEEK!!! Not to mention anything done at the vets office is done by weight so medicine is expensive and any surgeries or other issues can run you way more than the average person with a Lab!

Oh and there is a saying that "you know you're a great dane owner when you take a measuring tape with you to buy a car!" Yeah that is totally true!!! We had to go from a Jeep to a Durango to comfortably fit just one Dane (when we started). Now I own a Suburban!!! And I only have 1 kid!

Anyways...I love talking Dane! They are the BEST!!!! And as long as you're prepared for them they can be awesome! So feel free to chat anytime...as you can tell by this novel I can go ON and ON about Danes!!!! :P

Congrats! And have fun with her! They are so goofy!

Rahime said...

Thanks Angela!! Your mattress story is hilarious (though I'm sure it wasn't at the time when you had to replace your bed). We're definitely planning to use a crate...in fact, went shopping for one today. We didn't get it yet, but our local Petsmart carries the 54" ones, so we'll be getting one before she comes home. I will definitely have questions. Thanks!!! I've wanted a Dane for so long, I almost can't believe we're finally getting one.

crazy4danes said...

I am so glad that you are finally getting your dream dog!!! It's so exciting!!! We just purchased a Blue and Gold Macaw...a bird I have wanted since I was a kid so I totally know what it's like to FINALLY get the pet of your dreams!!!

The mattress story is hilarious and I even laughed when I saw it! I just could not even believe it!!! LOL

Anyways...have fun and I can't wait till you get her!!! It's not often I run across other Dane LOVERS! :D

Rahime said...

I saw your Macaw on your blog...it's beautiful. I hope you have a lot of fun with it. I grew up with parrots (African Greys), they're a lot of fun.