05 July 2009

Road Trip--South Dakota--Days 4-6

South Dakota: Mt. Rushmore, beautiful farm, and The Best Steak Ever.

'Chung and I decided on a whim on the evening of day 4 to go out to a "real restaurant" to eat. It was a cool night (so we could let the pup stay in the car with windows down) and we were already wearying of car food, fast food and snack food, so we looked for reviews of restaurants in the town near Mt. Rushmore (here's a silly picture from our quick visit, but only because I don't have one of The Restaurant) where we stayed after visiting the National Monument and came up with the Colonial House in Rapid City, SD.


We were starving, and ordered too much food, but still managed to eat all but the little piece of steak that we saved for the puppy. Everything, Everything, was incredible

.
The following day we drove to arrive fairly early at the farm bed and breakfast where we were staying the night.



After checking in with the sweet hostess, we decided to go into town and try our luck with another steakhouse and ended up at Chef Louie's Steakhouse in Mitchell, SD. From the outside, it looked like a bit of a dive. I have to admit that I was skeptical, but the reviews we'd read were adamant that this was some of the best steak ever, so I overlooked the humongous bovine that greeted me.


Don't judge a chef by the giant cow sign in front of his restaurant. Again, the best food EVER. They served Cheeseburger soup. And it was amazing. I've never had prime rib that melts in your mouth before. The prices were reasonable at both restaurants too...not quite cheap, but not break-the-bank.


After returning from dinner and a quick stop in an antique store, we still had lots of daylight to explore the farm at der Rumbolz platz.





While Brembo and I visited the horses, 'Chung got recruited to work on some of the farm equipment that would be used the next day to blow the alfalfa up into the silo.








Brembo got to meet all kinds of animals she's never really met before. In addition to the horses (she particularly liked the white one 'cause it wasn't behind a fence), she also met kittens for the first time (kinda hard to see, but it's to the left of the blue bins just inside the barn.


We were sad to only stay here one night. The couple who own the farm and hosted us were so warm, had a lifetime of stories to share, and let treated us to a very comfortable stay and a delicious breakfast for less than some of the cheap motels we've stayed at. It was wonderful.


We took our time in the morning and drove about an hour to meet a friend for coffee whom I haven't seen since I was in Uzbekistan 15 years ago. From there we spent most of the afternoon driving towards Minneapolis, though we stopped at a great rest stop along the way where Brembo was able to run around and we all ate our lunch.



5 comments:

crazy4danes said...

Looks like you guys are having such a good time! That farm looks so amazing!!! Brembo seems to really be enjoying the trip too. :) Thanks for all the updates! They are so much fun!

Bar L. said...

OMGOSH!!!!!! I loved this post! It was so fun to see Brembo with the horses and see you three having such a fun time in South Dakota...my mom is from there so I have been all through that state and remember the big cow place in Mitchell! Drew is looking at your blog with me and he remembers it too!

Rahime said...

Oh, I should have put up a picture of the Corn Palace. South Dakota was a blast!

crazy4danes said...

I just can't get over how good Brembo looks with the horses! I think Diesel would be going nuts! Barking and such...he is always trying to get to our sheep and goats...crazy Harl! :P

Rahime said...

:) How funny. I would love to meet Diesel (and your other danes, goats, sheep, parrot....). Brembo was really good with the horses. I think she thought they were big dogs 'cause she wanted them to play with her.